Jock has been in practice for over 30 years in Canada and England. He is a senior litigator with an extensive background in commercial law and ICBC/personal injury claims. He has considerable experience in construction and commercial disputes, matrimonial matters involving child/spousal support and division of assets, and estate litigation. Jock has appeared as counsel in all levels of court in British Columbia as well as before various Provincial administrative tribunals. Jock has also assisted clients in business matters and business dispute resolution. In 1984 Jock began practicing law in Vancouver, BC. He then moved to London, England where he practiced commercial and construction litigation from 1987 to 1992 when he returned to Vancouver. He practiced in Vancouver until 1996 when he moved to Kelowna to join Doak Shirreff, becoming a partner 2 years later.
I enjoy people and find successfully assisting clients through conflict especially rewarding. These can be some of the most difficult and stressful times for clients. Understandably clients do not enjoy the dispute process but I work with them to try and reach an early resolution that is in their best interests. To conclude a matter in a timely fashion also promotes a more cost-effective result.
Finding solutions to disputes includes looking at many alternatives including mediation and arbitration. In finding solutions I bring determination, thoroughness, and an attention to detail to each client matter I handle.
Outside the office, I am actively involved in several organizations serving our community. I am married and enjoy spending time with my wife (who grew up in Kelowna), son and daughter. For recreation, I enjoy cycling, golf, skiing and attempting to play hockey.
Some court decisions where Jock was counsel of note are as follows:
- Olynyk v Turner, 2012 BCSC 1138 (ICBC Claim)
- Fisher v Lakeland Mills Ltd¸ 2005 BCSC 64 and 2008 BCCA 42 (Wrongful dismissal)
- Engqvist v Doyle et al, 2011 BCSC 1585 (ICBC Claim)
- Archibald et al v Sutherland et al, 2006 BCSC 1641 (Commercial)
- Golder Associates Ltd v Mill Creek Development et al, 2004 BCSC 665 (Construction)
- Harmony Co-Ordination Services Ltd v 542479 BC Ltd et al, March 11, 1999 Kelowna Registry 42784 (Construction)
I graduated from St. Georges High School in 1975 and then attended Queens University before transferring to St. Andrews University in Scotland on a McEwen Scholarship. I returned to Canada in 1980 and completed my law degree at the University of British Columbia in 1983.
In 1984 I was admitted to the Law Society of British Columbia, and in 1991 I was admitted to be Law Society of England and Wales.
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Board of Governors of the Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Kelowna Bar Association
- Urban Development Institute
- Kelowna Chamber of Commerce
- Director of Pathways Abilities Society, which is committed to providing services and support to people with developmental difficulties.
- President of the St. Georges School Old Boys Association, director of that school’s board of directors and past trustee of its Endowment Association.
- Warden and executive member of St. Mary’s Anglican Church.
Jock's Areas of Practice:
We play an active role in helping you get your life back and we understand your recovery will often be physical and emotional. We are established in the community...
Most victims that are injured in a car accident suffer both physical injuries and long-term emotional traumas. These injuries can result in massive ongoing medical expenses and can even...
It’s not uncommon for disputes to arise when loved ones lose the ability to make decisions on their own, or after they pass away.
Employment issues in today’s workplace can be complex, and may involve a myriad of federal and provincial statutes, regulations, rules, guidelines, and common law.
Each of our litigation lawyers is experienced in addressing a variety of different issues and different dispute resolution processes.