The number of strata properties has grown exponentially in recent years and this rapid growth has been accompanied by changing legislation and filing requirements. Our team has been working in strata law throughout this process, providing us with a historical understanding of strata matters, how they have evolved, and what the practical implications are for you. Strata issues can be diverse, so our team works together to efficiently address your specific needs.
Whether you are creating a phased strata development, or purchasing your home in a strata complex, we identify the steps required to protect your interests now and in the future.
We work in three main areas relating to strata: development, governance, and litigation.
Our key areas in strata development are:
- Advising developers on Strata Property Act and Real Estate Development Marketing Act issues, including preparation of disclosure statements and matters relating to marketing and sales of strata developments
- Preparing contracts of purchase and sale
- Strata plan filings including phased strata plan declarations
- Strata lot transfers
Our key areas in strata governance are:
- Drafting, reviewing and registering strata bylaws, amendments and resolutions
- Drafting and reviewing contracts for repair/remediation, contractors and suppliers
- Attending and conducting strata council meetings and annual or special general meetings
- Strata plan amendments
- Legal opinions on all aspects of real estate and strata law
Our key areas in strata litigation are:
- Bylaw enforcement
- Collections and forced sales
- Attendance and assistance with claims in the jurisdiction for the Civil Resolution Tribunal, Residential Tenancy Branch, and Human Rights Tribunal
- New home warranty claims
- Property disputes
- Attendance and assistance with arbitrations and mediations
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you require any assistance in strata development, governance, or litigation.