For over 50 years, Doak Shirreff has operated in Kelowna. In those 50 years, our law firm has grown and expanded. We are incredibly proud of the feats that our hardworking Kelowna lawyers have completed, but none of those accomplishments would have been possible without the community of Kelowna.
50 years ago, the population of Kelowna was only about 14,000. Since that time, Kelowna has gone through several periods of rapid expansion which has transformed a farming town into a thriving city. The reason that both Doak Shirreff and Kelowna have been able to thrive and grow is the people.
Kelowna is an Amazing Place to Call Home
The people of Kelowna are some of the most kind, generous and innovative individuals in the world. We can’t help but smile every time a tourist talks about the community that we live in. The community is the glue that holds everything together. The people of Kelowna are the lifeblood of the Okanagan. To celebrate 50 years of business, the team here at Doak Shirreff decided to give back to the community that has made our success possible.
Throughout this calendar year, our team will be completing 50 Good Deeds to celebrate our half-century of operations.
The purpose of this article is to a) celebrate the good deeds that our team has been completing and b) inspire our clients to seek out our support in their community initiatives.
Below you will find a list of the organizations that we currently work with. We encourage you to explore the list and discover some of the groups that are making our community a better place to live in! If you are involved with a non-for-profit in Kelowna that needs our support, please reach out to our team at any time by emailing [email protected].
If there is one thing that we have learned while working in law, it’s that everyone has a story. In any city, there are instances where unfortunate events happen that put stress on individuals and families. As a collection of legal professionals and members of the Kelowna community, we strive to find ways to help those who are in need. Our lawyers are active volunteers with the following organizations:
- Mamas for Mamas
- Soup Sisters
- Inn from the Cold
- MADD Central Okanagan Chapter
- Ozanam House
- JCI Kelowna
- Kelowna’s Women’s Shelter
We are always searching for new opportunities to support individuals, families or larger causes. Some recent Good Deeds that made our list were our lawyer’s participation in the JCI food drive, hosting a Pancake Breakfast for the Foundry and donating to the Red Cross disaster fund that helps families affected by wildfires.
Working with Our Community
The community in Kelowna continues to grow and thrive because of the amazing organizations within it. By supporting professional groups, education centres, diversity and the performing arts, we believe we are helping Kelowna maintain its incredible culture. Our lawyers volunteer to support our community in various ways including:
- Teaching Sunday School
- Acting as a Member of the Rotary Club of Kelowna
- Acting as a Board Member of Kelowna Christian School
- Acting as a Board Member for the Professional Association for Managing Agents
- Volunteering with the TEDxKelowna organizing committee.
- Supporting RotaryNow! Kelowna as the Chair-Elect
- Sitting on the governance sub-committee board for Kelowna Visual and Performing Arts Centre Society
- Volunteering at Powerhouse Theatre
- Participating in the Kelowna Pride Parade
- Volunteering at the Sugarplum Ball
- Participating with the MS Society
As Kelowna lawyers, protecting and enhancing our legal system is extremely important to us. We are constantly searching for ways to contribute to the legal environment, especially when it helps those in need. The Doak Shirreff team has provided legal contributions by:
- Acting as legal counsel for persons certified under the Mental Health Act
- Sitting on the board and executive committee of CLEBC
- Acting as Chair Organizer for Kelowna Law Day
- Acting as Chair for the CBA family law subsection in the Okanagan
Inspired Physical Movement
One of the best aspects of Kelowna is how physically active and involved everyone is. Our team is always looking for a chance to help coach or support events in the valley! Our lawyers are:
- “On the Lawn” participants, which raises funds for Elevation Outdoors, enhancing the lives of underprivileged youth
- Coaches for Volleyball Clubs
- Kelowna Dragon Boat Club volunteers
- Winfield Minor Hockey volunteers
- Kelowna Apple Triathlon Volunteers
Protecting Local Nature and Our Furry Friends
And finally, being a contributing member of Kelowna’s community must include nature and animals. Nestled in the heart of the Okanagan Valley, we are so lucky to be surrounded by bountiful mountains, tree and lakes. Our lawyers help support animals and nature through:
- Acting as volunteer secretary on the Allan Brooks Nature Centre Board
- Member of the Kelowna Paddle Trail Development Committee
- SPCA volunteer; “Paws for the Cause” supporter
We even hosted an SPCA cupcake fundraiser here at our offices!
As 2018 progresses we will continue to look for opportunities to add to our list of 50 Good Deeds. If you are interested in working with Doak Shirreff in any capacity, please reach out to legal staff through our website or call 250-763-4323.
Stay involved Kelowna and THANK YOU for 50 amazing years!