Jonathan began working at Doak Shirreff Lawyers LLP as a student in 2014, and has been a lawyer with the firm since 2016. Previously practicing within the firm’s commercial and civil litigation group, he has represented clients in Provincial and Supreme Court trials, administrative tribunals and mediations. He has since shifted his practice into the Doak Shirreff’s business law, construction law and real estate law groups, using his past litigation experience to inform proactive solutions to ensure his clients goals are met while avoiding unnecessary risk to their operations.
My practice has a primary focus in employment and business law with additional experience working with societies, non-profit organizations and charities. I also work within Doak Shirreff Lawyers’ real estate and business transactions group.
I take pride in seeing my clients succeed in the sale, purchase, or incorporation of their businesses and work with clients in running their business operations efficiently and maintaining positive working relationships with their employees, partners and contractors. I recognize the value in ensuring that individuals are treated with the respect that they are entitled to, and work with clients to ensure that workplace, industry and statutory standards are met while running their operations in an effective and efficient way.
I also enjoy assisting societies and their directors thrive in their governance and in the performance of their organization’s mandates.
As a fourth generation Okanagan resident, I am incredibly proud of the legacy that Doak Shirreff Lawyers LLP has in the Okanagan, and am determined to maintain that longstanding reputation with our team here. Outside of the practice of law my interests include triathlons, road cycling, water-polo and skiing.
- British Columbia Bar Admission (2016)
- Juris Doctor, Thompson Rivers University, Faculty of Law (2015)
- Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia Okanagan (2011)
- Member – Canadian Bar Association
- Member – Kelowna Bar Association
- Member – Law Society of British Columbia
- Director – Kelowna Bar Association
- Director – Kelowna Visual and Performing Arts Centre Society
- Director – Kelowna Water Polo Cub
- Executive – CBABC – Young Lawyers (Okanagan Section)
- Chair and Legislative Liaison of CBABC – Civil Litigation (Okanagan Section)
- Treasurer – CBABC – Young Lawyers (Okanagan Section)
- Volunteer – Inns of Court (Kelowna)
- Volunteer – Across the Lake Swim Society
- Volunteer – Ironman Canada
- Volunteer – Hope for the Nations
Jonathan's Areas of Practice:
Charities and Not-for-Profit
Our charities and not-for-profit group is here to assist charitable groups and societies with all aspects of your organization’s needs.
Civil & Commercial Litigation
Each of our litigation lawyers is experienced in addressing a variety of different issues and different dispute resolution processes.
Employment issues in today’s workplace can be complex, and may involve a myriad of federal and provincial statutes, regulations, rules, guidelines, and common law.
Our business law practice group has the expertise and experience to help you navigate the complex world of business transactions and acquisitions.