Doak Shirreff Lawyers LLP is pleased to announce that William McCallum has joined the firm effective September 1, 2017. He is now available to provide mediation/arbitration services, litigation advice and Private Settlement Conferences.
Mr. McCallum retired from a distinguished career as a Master of the Supreme Court of British Columbia. He was called to the Bar in 1975 and brings to the firm more than 40 years of experience in problem solving and the skilled, effective and timely resolution of disputes.
Since 1982 he has been a Registrar and Master of the Supreme Court where he excelled as an effective and respected decision-maker. He now brings his passion for justice and fairness to the private bar, with a hope to use his experience to help both lawyers and their clients.
Mr. McCallum understands the importance of keeping disputes out of the courtroom where possible and is committed to finding creative solutions that work for all parties.
His experience as a member of the judiciary allows him to manage the adversarial process where necessary and assist parties in defining issues and getting to a resolution through alternate dispute resolution means.
Mr. McCallum’s judicial experience and skill set make him uniquely qualified to act as a mediator or arbitrator in a wide range of areas including: business disputes, construction claims, personal injury, insurance claims, and wills & estates matters.
He will also be invaluable in providing litigation advice and assistance to lawyers in areas where he has a particular expertise including: Legal Profession Act issues, bankruptcy and insolvency matters and taxations relating to costs or fees.
- Master,Supreme Court of British Columbia — 1989 – present
- District Registrar, Supreme Court of British Columbia — 1982 -1989
- Private Practice of Law, Victoria, British Columbia – 1975 – 1982
- Assistant to the President, Bowaters Newfoundland — 1970 -1971
- Queen’s University, Kingston, ON — LL.B 1974
- Western University, London, ON – M.B.A. 1970
- Queen’s University, Kingston, ON – B.Sc. (Civil Engineering) 1968
- Practice Before the Registrar, Continuing Legal Education Society of B.C.
- Supreme Court Chambers Orders, Continuing Legal Education Society of B.C.
- Governor and Chair, Board of Governors, Glenlyon-Norfolk School – 1986 –
- Director and President, Board of Directors, Uplands Golf Club – 1996 -2002
and 2008 – 2012